Recent Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Greenville (SC) Eats: Pita House

Thesis work brought me to Greenville, South Carolina for the month, so I decided to check out some of the local favorites. At first glance, it seemed like a bit of a challenge to find some good eats outside of downtown with the seemingly endless array of chains littered through the city in all kinds of shapes and sizes, but some research and word of mouth led me to my first location, the Middle Eastern restaurant "Pita House", just across from Greenville Tech.

For such a low key place, Pita House seemed to attract a pretty sizable crowd for an off-hour time of day. On the outside, it looked like any other place in town, - perhaps even less attractive - but two steps in revealed a pleasantly bright and inviting interior.

Despite a relatively large menu featuring a variety of Middle Eastern treats, it didn't take me long to make my pick - the falafel plate, which came with a side of hummus, tomato cucumber raita, and a couple of pitas. The falafel was, in a word, sensational. Crispy on the outside, savory and just a little creamy in the middle, they'll make you forget that this is a vegetarian dish in a heartbeat. I've had a lot in my day, but none were as crisp and flavorful as Pita House's. A gem. Assembling the sandwich was another delight altogether. The gorgeous hummus and cool tomato-cucumber side made for perfect companions with the sandwich, and were even better packed into my second pita, creating explosions of amazing Middle Eastern flavors in my mouth.

No Reservations, The Shakedown on Pita House
Atmosphere: Local casual fare.
Costs: Great prices, $7 for the falafel plate,
most dishes costed even less. Cash only though!
Try: Do I really need to say?

I'm sure Pita House serves many other great dishes including kabobs and spinach pie, but after this experience, I think I'll take my chances and continue coming back for more amazing falafel. I was completely blown away by the quality of Pita House, especially in a place like Greenville, South Carolina. Anyone in town looking for a delicious and affordable meal should look no further then this diamond in the rough. Pita House also serves a host of baked goods for those aiming for more of a snack then a meal, so don't be afraid to stop by and check things out if you've never had Middle Eastern fare before.

Pita House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Kim said...

OMG! I need that right now! RIGHT NOW!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite place to drive "out of my way" and eat! I live in the Upstate, but it is almost an hour for me to get there. TOTALLY worth it, and the fod is consistant! No suprises because it is always fantastic!

Post a Comment